276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Favorite Thing Is Monsters

£19.995£39.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The act of reading through a journal composed of perfect recall regarding events and illustrated through incredible art only possible through decades of training serving as the thoughts of a young girl still coming into an understanding of the world creates a balance between verisimilitude and artificiality. We are both engrossed in this deeply personal firsthand experience and distantly observing the sheer magnitude of the art. The story is told as a diary-esque journal of doodles and thoughts by our young protagonist, Karen Reyes, who fancies herself as a werewolf child. She lives with her mother and brother in Chicago, 1960. This graphic novel -- and I use that in the strictest sense because it is absolutely novel-quality while being told through a graphic medium -- is one of those deeply surprising discoveries you rarely come across. It's deep, funny, disturbing, gorgeous, insightful, and if that wasn't enough, it's technically brilliant. I would not be unhappy at all if this won the graphic novel category. As much as I LOVED Saga vol 7 and went gaga over Monstress vol 2, this one bites as deep or perhaps deeper than the rest. The graphic novel has received critical acclaim and is considered by many critics to be one of the best graphic novels of 2017. It has been praised for its intricate design, beautiful artwork, and unique storytelling style. Ferris’s use of B-movie horror and pulp monster magazines iconography adds an extra layer of depth to the story.

My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, Vol. 1 by Emil Ferris | Goodreads

The Unlikely Story of Felix and Macabber” w/ Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou & Juni Ba | CBH Interviews #114 September 26, 2023Moi, ce que j'aime, c'est les monstres". Éditions Alto (in Canadian French). Archived from the original on September 12, 2018 . Retrieved September 12, 2018. Moi, ce que j'aime, c'est les monstres". Monsieur Toussaint Louverture (in French) . Retrieved May 7, 2018. Also, the 2018 Eisner Awards were just announced ten days ago: My Favorite Thing Is Monsters took best writer/artist, best coloring and best graphic album!! Yay, Emil Ferris!!! She deserves all the accolades, all the stars. McMillan, Graeme (July 21, 2018). "Eisner Awards: The Complete Winners List". Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved July 21, 2018. It’s no wonder that so many who were seen as inhuman due to society’s racism, sexism, and prejudice found solace in monsters.

My Favorite Thing is Monsters sequel has a Finally, the My Favorite Thing is Monsters sequel has a

We should be in the service of protecting freedom,” said Ferris. “People are not our enemies. Fear and ignorance are our enemies. There are so many great books within the graphic “canon” that are situated firmly in that ideology of service. I drew and drew and truly hoped that what I did would inspire others to tell their stories, to really believe in them and honor them.” Because the book functions as a kind of notebook diary for Karen, we get to see how Karen views herself. She chooses to draw herself as a ambiguously-gendered werewolf, both to reflect the way society views her — as someone who is not white and gender-nonconforming — and the way she tries to own this perceived “monstrousness.” urn:oclc:record:1392377991 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier myfavoritethingi0000ferr Identifier-ark ark:/13960/s2hxh1f4xzb Invoice 1652 Isbn 9781606999592 Whatever form they take, monsters have often fulfilled the role of both giving reason to the unexplainable and giving form to “the other” within society. But in modern civilization, the idea of the monster slowly shifted from an inhuman creature that should be feared and into an allegory that many would find relatable or even romantic. Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein,” published in 1818, can be seen as the inflection point within this shift, giving rise to a tide of gothic horror and complex monsters whose natures were often both caused by and a reflection of society. One of the most striking aspects of “My Favorite Thing Is Monsters” is its unconventional format. The entire story is presented as the diary of a young girl named Karen Reyes. Karen, who is both the protagonist and the narrator, tells her story in the form of a notebook filled with intricate, ballpoint pen drawings. This unique format immediately captures the reader’s attention, as it feels like a personal, handwritten account of Karen’s life. The Artistry

LIST OF ISSUES

MacDonald, Heidi (May 31, 2018). "Reuben Award Winners: Glenn Keane wins The Reuben". Comics Beat . Retrieved April 23, 2019. PW Staff (December 20, 2017). " 'My Favorite Thing Is Monsters' Tops Annual 'PW' Graphic Novel Critics Poll". Publishers Weekly . Retrieved January 5, 2018. Structurally, “Monsters” is designed as Karen’s massive spiral-bound journal, recording her monster fantasies and journey of discovery. It’s a mammoth work of art that challenges us to better understand the perspectives of the marginalized and as Book 1 of a two-volume story still waiting on its second half, “Monsters” exists as a dark journey into the horrors we suffer and the ways in which we must change to find hope. It’s a grim, unflinching story that plumbs the depths of both historical and fictional tragedy, but whose transcendent art offers a passage through the darkness. The Comfort of Monsters Any size contribution will help keep CBH alive and full of new comics guides and content. Support CBH on Patreon for exclusive rewards, or Donate here! Thank you for reading!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment